Vancouver Island Model Log Home Near Victoria
In 2010 we built an Ecolog home in Central Saanich, near Victoria, British Columbia. This home served as a show home for our West Coast customers for several years. The custom log home design is based on the floor plan called "The Victorian", which is described on this page in detail.
The construction process for this log house kit was used to validate some design improvements, which we developed specifically for our West Coast customers:
- Strengthening of all timber connections to satisfy seismic requirements
- Improved construction techniques to conform with building envelope and energy performance requirements in British Columbia
- Intergration of other design elements like cedar shingle siding for dormers and gables, natural stone siding, artistic metal railings and more.
This home also demonstrates the integration of some eco friendly features into Ecolog homes like
- ICF basement construction - very energy effecient walls, reduced waste, fast erection
- Solar hot water system
- Solar powered radiant floor heating
- Energy efficient german style tilt-turn windows from Vera-DE Windows in Courtenay
- Home automation system to improve safety and security while saving on energy
- Minimize environmental impact by using locally produced products where available
- All wood for walls, roof trusses, roof sheating, floors and framing comes from the Cowichan Valley (Hemlock and Fir)
- Cedar shingles for dormers and gables from Cowichan Valley
- Yellow cedar for interior stairs and red cedar for outside stairs and deck from East Sooke
- Use of natural materias wererever possible (solid wood floor, eco friendly water based stains, etc.)
- We did a blower door test as part of an official Energuide rating process. The results are great - we achieved an Energuide rating of 79, where typical new frame construction homes built to code are between 65 and 72. This proves that our Ecolog homes are very energy efficient.
Update 2016: This home is currently no longer used as a show home.
Ecolog BC Show Home Staged for Young Life Tour
In April 2011 we participated in the Young Life Home Design and Renovation Tour, a fund raiser for Young Life Victoria. In preparation for this event we worked hard in putting finishing touches on the home, getting the landscaping done, and staging the whole house nicely. Thanks to Klaus & Bobby coming all the way from Germany to help, to Carmen from New Space Design for staging the home, and to Sandra for her meticulous cleaning and for taking my dog over the weekend !
More then 800 people visited our home during 2 days. The feedback was overwhelmingly positive, people used all kinds of superlatives: Charming, but different than any log home I have seen... Very bright... Warm atmosphere... really cool (from the younger people in the crowd). Have a look at the images (click on any image to start a slide show):
EcoLog BC Show Home Photographed by Ted Grant
Veteran photographer Ted Grant is one of a kind! At 86 years young, his visit to BC's first Ecolog Home still included calisthenics with the camera, resulting in great photos from new angles, capturing both detail and the big picture in the Van Isle Ecolog Show Home. Notice how Ted works only with natural light to capture the atmosphere of the different spaces.